awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2024 10:07:49 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Tragically, Andrea was no stranger to hospitals, and this was overall the second time she was visiting Josh in one. Mauville’s General Hospital was overbooked with victims of poisoning and survivors from the Megalopolan prison, but they’d still managed to secure a room on the tenth floor for the city’s Gym Leader.

The young PokéManiac tentatively knocked on the door, before allowing herself in. She held a bouquet of flowers in one hand, while cradling her treasured Fuecoco in the other. “Hi, Josh… You’re back here, huh?” Her attempt at humor was offset by a melancholy look and bags under the eyes denoting a lack of sleep due to recurring night terrors.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2024 7:48:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was feeling somewhat better, at least; his time between LIFE DEW therapy sessions had grown to six hours from four, letting Mastema, his Togekiss, get some much-needed shut-eye. He distinctly remembered the haughty fairy-type's red eyes from being able to sleep for less than four hours at a type to keep him from going into potentially lethal shock. "I am," he answered, his left arm still in a splint. If Andrea were to look at a nearby X-ray of his arm, she would see it healing nicely, the gel holding the bone fragments together having set. While it would never be able to withstand the type of punishment it once could, he would be able to ride and fight again soon. "Thanks for dropping by, Andrea," he waved toward the dragon master and Fuecoco with his good arm.

His eyes shifted toward the bouquet of Johto-native flowers and the RAINBOW FEATHER nearby. "...You don't look so hot yourself," Josh inquired, noticing how sleep-deprived she looked. "You okay? Have a seat," he gestured toward the chair on the other side of the bed, turning the television down. At least they got PSPN; without being able to watch sports, he would have gone even more stir crazy.

{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2024 16:27:41 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Upon seeing the state of Josh’s left arm, Andrea felt WORRY as well as guilt over her inability to protect one of her dearest friends from harm. Even when that splint came off, would he be the same man he once was?

She, too, had seen better days, as her fellow Gym Leader was quick to notice. “I haven’t been getting much sleep lately…” The young woman took a seat at her friend’s behest. “Every time I close my eyes, I go back to… that place.”

During those late hours, she was tormented by the same memories she actively tried to repress while awake. Broken bones could mend over time, but she would never forgive them for taking away her ability to dream.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2024 2:52:08 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Thanks to the marvels of modern medicine, Josh's arm would be almost good as new once the doctors and their healing Pokémon were done with him. The real pain would be rehab: having to relearn how to use his left arm again. "Arceus..." Josh sighed. "And I thought I had it bad. If I could trade you, I would. Just so you wouldn't have to suffer through that. No one does." Physical pain could be treated, but mental pain often scarred its sufferer for life. The pain of abuse. The pain of being lied to. In Andrea's case, the mental pain of having to relive that abuse over and over again.

"Have you ever thought about renting a Musharna from someone? Or even just having one of your Pokémon use Dream Eater on you when you're asleep?" Josh asked, not immediately thinking about the consequence of a Pokémon dining upon a bad dream.

Swiveling the arm of his table toward him, Josh took the RAINBOW FEATHER out of the vase it was stored in, started twirling it between the fingers of his good hand, and drew the Sign on the surface of the table. Swift did not appear; for the Sign to work, it must be drawn in midair. Ashes still collected in its wake, giving Andrea a good look at the shape of the Sign he had drawn.

"I feel all of your pain, too. I finally have the means to live the dream I've had since before I was old enough to be a trainer. And now, this... this fucking arm is standing in my way," he swore. Andrea had known Josh long enough to understand how seldom he cursed. "It hurts, Andrea... it hurts. Do you know how much Swift means to me? And yet..." he trailed off, lost in his internal agony. Agony he needed to vent to get out of his mind.

{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2024 16:47:25 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Andrea turned towards him with a weary smile. “Thanks. It truly means a lot…” The fact that Josh was willing to shoulder her pain, that is. His martyr complex was a glaring flaw of his, but at times, it also made him into the hero Hoenn deserved.

The implications of using Dream Eater were thankfully not lost on the PokéManiac. “I think Pokémon would get a tummy ache if they ate bad dreams… or possibly worse.” Then again, she was no expert on the subject. She was not .

The Master of Faster was not bereft of his own frustrations, namely that he was unable to ride the mount of his dreams in his present state. “You should be happy you have Swift at all.” His costumed friend pointed out. “I’m sure there are things you can do with them that don’t involve riding. Have you tried battling?” She suggested.

She knew that he had sent Raikou out against Cyllora, but that didn’t exactly count as a ‘battle’.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2024 2:22:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was one of the roles of a Champion: to shoulder the pains of those that looked up to them. Though he didn't want to admit it, Champions, too, needed partners to shoulder their own pains. and , if he had his way, would ease one another's suffering. They were there for one another.

"Was just the first suggestion that came to mind," Josh replied. "Might need to find someone that studies the dream world a little more closely. I'd at least look into it. For your sake. You don't look so hot."

Andrea's words came off as scathing, revealing of what Josh revered Raikou for. Kyle had told him in the final days before he passed away that Swift was different from the Raikou he knew and loved. He was just as fast as Josh imagined him to be, if not even faster. His many runs across Route 115 were all euphoric, the Beast unleashing its full speed upon Josh and leaving him with an adrenaline high unlike anything he had experience before. Even with the Raikou under Kyle's control.

"Don't get me wrong, Andrea," Josh retorted. "I'm appreciative of the Great One's blessing. It's just frustrating that I can't do what I love about him most and have dreamed about the hardest." The suggestion of combat was one he had tried, though in limited capacity. "Haven't really had the chance outside the walls of the Pokémon League," he answered. "He hasn't been able to defeat a single one of my Pokémon. The closest he's come to winning a battle is against Nuka. She's the newest member of my pride, and she's still a Litleo. Nala gave birth while I was gone."

The Gym Leader shook his head again. "I tell you what. Once I'm out of this hospital bed, how about we make plans for Swift and your new friend to go at it?" he suggested.

{PC: 3}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2024 12:43:06 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Seeking the help of a Dream World expert was not a bad suggestion. Recent events had proven how potent dreams could be. The idea was shelved for the time being, but not forgotten.

Hearing that Josh’s Raikou couldn’t even beat a newborn Litleo was disheartening. Someone with an unfiltered tongue like might have even called it embarrassing. Even Andrea, who usually tried to be polite, was taken aback. “M-maybe he just needs more training?”

Ogerpon’s true strength remained untested, but she knew for a fact the ogress was stronger than a Litleo. Then again, maybe a challenging battle could help Swift grow. “Sounds like a plan! But we’re not gonna go easy on you two!” The young PokéManiac said.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2024 22:56:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Like I said, that's what I've been working with AQUA for," Josh reiterated. "Traditional training techniques haven't worked so far. It's almost like Swift's... missing a part, or even multiple parts, of what makes him a Raikou."

That was the first step in truly understanding what Swift was. Over time, Josh would discover that Swift was Raikou exactly as the Master of Faster imagined the species to be deep within the recesses of his subconscious.

Swift was so fast because that was what Josh revered Raikou for -- his incredible SPEED. Being separated from Swift for two days felt like an eternity, building up grudges against the Loyal Three and reaching a fever pitch. Through 's Patron, the Beast's SAVAGERY instilled itself into his wielder's mind, striking Cyllora with perhaps the fastest QUICK ATTACK in the known world.

"He's in better shape than he was when we first met," Josh added. "When Kyle handed him down to me, the only move he could use is Spark. Then all of a sudden, on the ship, he used Quick Attack without so much as a word. Legendary Pokémon really are built different, aren't they?" Perhaps Andrea would have some insight, what with Ogerpon allying with her...

{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2024 13:42:51 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
“Yeah, they sure are.” Replied Andrea with her eyes glazed over, realizing that she didn’t know nearly enough about Ogerpon to decide whether to classify her as a legendary Pokémon. She wanted to know more, but the ogress was very secretive about her origins.

His mention of the AQUA Initiative made her ponder about Josh’s current standing. “By the way, are you part of AQUA too now?” The Sygna Suited woman asked. “I mean, you’re not exactly Swift’s avatar, but he was gifted to you by an avatar. That’s gotta count for something, right?”

At that point, she realized that she also had no idea how one got into the Initiative. Was there an application form or something?
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 12, 2024 8:45:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
AQUA was a very sensitive topic for Josh; it was something he had flip-flopped on multiple times since learning what it was about. "No. And I'm not sure I want to be, either," the Champion answered. "And I think it might be for the best that it turned out this way. You know how badly I wanted to be Raikou's Avatar when I first came to Hoenn and found out about them?" he asked, reminiscing of his first Avatar conversations with . That was almost two years ago; how much had time flown by since!

"Last fall, I had this vivid dream about being Raikou's Avatar," he recounted, completely muting the television as it was still being a distraction. "The powers I had were unreal. I had this sword, shaped like a lightning bolt, that could cut cleanly through almost anything. My Pokémon were all much faster than they are now. I felt like I could ride at the speed of sound for hours and never get tired. And craziest of all, I felt like I could see in slow motion for short periods of time." It was certainly a synergistic power to have when riding on a living lightning bolt that might be able to give the Skylord a run for their money.

"Let me put it this way: until I'm an Avatar, the easiest way for me to get into AQUA is to apply for Head Ranger. And I'm not giving up Mauville Gym to do that. Plus, I've seen some... toxic Avatarships. . . I don't want to end up like those people."

Josh had a long time to think about what happened in the immediate aftermath of Mount Chimney, as well as his training with and . His cabin fever had him pondering what Swift could do well and what he couldn't do well. To improve Swift, he would need to improve himself.

"You see, I'm starting to understand it. Swift is a Raikou... that's exactly how I've imagined him to be. Not like the one that died in the invasion. I think that's why he's super fast, but that's the only thing he's good at. It's just... so sad that the person who could help me best understand Swift is gone. And no one else in Hoenn, to my knowledge, has studied Raikou like I have. Maybe battling your friend will make me realize something new about Swift and point me in the right direction."

{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 12, 2024 20:20:40 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Hearing of Josh’s hypothetical avatar powers reminded Andrea of the interdimensional doppelganger they’d fought last year. That man had a corrupt version of the Gym-Leader-now-Champion’s righteous heart. That man had not deserved Raikou’s favor, but her friend did.

“I have a different theory…” The crocodilian cosplayer calmly countered. “The thing that’s holding you--and by extension Swift--back is your own fear. How are you supposed to reach new heights if you’re constantly worried that you’re gonna end up just like those other avatars?”

She was neither judging nor thinking less of Josh because of that. Being afraid was perfectly normal. But a Champion could not afford to be normal; a Champion had to be extraordinary.

“You’re right. Swift is not the same Raikou that died in the invasion… He’s better! He’s a Raikou you can raise to be your ideal partner!” Andrea continued, taking hold of his good hand. “If you think battling Pon could help you on that journey, I’d be glad to help!”
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2024 0:00:50 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Fear of failure. Fear of being dominated by a Patron that clashed with Josh. One of his worst fears, as his training session with and Palkia, was to earn a Raikou's patronage, only for him to not be able to enjoy what he did with Swift in the days leading up to his imprisonment.

It was for that reason he suspected the Great One did not bless him in the same way Avatars were. Without a personality to balance, Swift could be exactly how Josh wanted him to be... if he trained his subconscious to reflect his surface desires.

"An ideal partner..." Josh trailed off, thinking about and how his Patron represented ideals. "Perhaps I should see the Galarian crown prince again when I have an arm that won't feel like it's on fire from doing something as simple as grabbing the TV remote," he mused. Perhaps he would invite the man to his Gym for a race: Swift vs. Zekrom.

"Let's count on that. Perhaps after my first stage of rehab," Josh proposed. "And one of these days, I think we need to take another trip away from Hoenn. To the most wide-open fields in the country, where we can go as fast as Swift can carry us without a care in the world."

{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2024 16:54:14 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Hearing ’s name reminded Andrea of that offer she’d gotten to work at his renowned draciary. She was meaning to get back to him, but a thousand other things kept getting in the way. Excursions, patrols, being abducted, and so forth. Curse her short attention span!

While Josh made plans to race the Black Yin Pokémon like an absolute madman, she made a silent vow to stop getting distracted and actually pay her fellow dragon lover a visit. Having a second job in case something happened to her Minor Gym wasn’t such a bad idea.

It hadn’t been that long since their vacation in Sinnoh, but taking another trip away from Hoenn didn’t sound like a bad idea either. “That would be lovely!” The young woman beamed. “What region do you have in mind? Ooooh, maybe we should go to Johto! It’s where Raikou originated from, after all!”
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,939 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2024 5:49:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Johto was a wonderful idea; Josh hadn't been to the region since last fall, when he helped his parents move to Mauville City. It would be a great way to let off some steam, particularly after being incarcerated for seemingly no reason. "I'd love to visit the Tin Tower. I'm sure the sages there will let us in if they see Swift. The Great One might have returned there, too," he speculated, the fate of Kyle's Patron still uncertain. "There's also the PokéAthlon, plus Johto has a strong racing scene! Would love to take you to the course I learned Pokémon racing at, too."

His eyes glittered at the prospect of returning to his homeland, particularly when the weather was nice. "There's also Route 38. It's one of the flattest stretches in the region. Goes on for miles. All I can say is... if we get to spend time out there, buckle up, just like we did in Area Zero," the Champion teased. "But what did you want to do there? I don't want to make it just about me."

{PC: 7}
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
2,065 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
Nothing Happened [M]
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2024 17:05:17 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
“I dunno where the Great One went, but I’m sure he’ll come back when we need him the most.” Said Andrea with confidence, knowing that sort of thing had happened before with Rayquaza and Celebi. “You think the sages would let and Suicune in too?”

The dragon lover was not as interested in ground racing courses, since she much preferred flying in her Sygna Suit. She had gotten her fill of that during their trip to Mt. Coronet. This time, it would be Josh’s turn to have fun.

There was, however, something else the PokéManiac wanted to do. “Once we’ve done all that other stuff, I’d like to study Johto’s traditions and arts. Those masks we saw, and even the ones they made us wear, seemed heavily influenced by Far Eastern culture.”
img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP
EO GENESIS
Code and Crown: An advanced literate warriors cats RP, set in medieval times
Swords Clashing